Sunday, February 22, 2009

Frankfort, Indiana


Eight years after I wore a pink ballgown and white satin gloves at the 2001 Valparaiso's Junior Miss, I finally made it down to Frankfort, Indiana for the Indiana's Junior Miss competition. And, I'd like to say that things haven't changed much. The girls still do a fitness routine and smile at the judges as they do push ups on stage (so awkward!) and then sway back in forth during the poise and presence part at the end. I felt so fortunate to be invited. My dear friend Betsy was a judge at Saturday's competition. Her dad is president of the State Junior Miss Board. And, it's impressive how the entire town of Frankfort embraces Junior Miss. I loved it!

Post competition, all the folks who had a part in putting on Junior Miss met up at a lovely little bar called The Island. In all honesty, The Island is a double wide trailer converted into a small town bar - complete with holiday themed decorations in the entry way! The Island was followed by a trip to The Scoreboard - an equally dive-y bar with a dj and a dance floor. Watch out!

At four in the morning, I was back at Betsy's house, rolling around on the floor with the four little dachshunds (oh - I almost forgot to mention Frankfort's high school mascot is the Hot Dog!) and eating lukewarm pizza. An end to a GREAT night! Thanks Betsy!!

No comments: